View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 12:30 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
ps - took a bit of searching for- it was buried in a thread about adding shortcuts to homescreen - but here is the relevant history.

"First, I am no longer a CC developer.

Second, you are missing the main problem. In November 2018 Google started enforcing the requirement that Android apps must "target" a recent android release, specifically Android 8.0 (API 26). If an app targets a release then it must follow the rules for that release. In CC's case this would mean that starting with Android 7, files cannot be passed between apps. Any attempt causes the app to die. This broke CC in very fundamental ways.

It is this Google requirement that stopped me from releasing CC Android updates after summer of 2018. It is in fact this requirement that convinced me that I could no longer continue to be responsible for developing CC (Android). My choice was to let it die or let someone else try. I chose the latter.

You say that it works in some cases. Yes, it does, because the current releases of CC "target" Android 6. This causes Android 7 & up to run in "compatibility mode" so that passing files works. It also means that CC cannot be updated on the play store. There is a good chance that the current version of CC will eventually be removed by Google because it doesn't target a recent version of Android.

If I were still developing CC I would under no circumstance code around vendor-specific strangeness in this area to try to make passing files work on some devices when targeting Android 8+. There lies madness. Instead I would (attempt) to keep the current behavior for Android 6 while making Android 7+ pass copies of the books (content providers). I suspect that is what the current developer is trying to do, but I don't know that.

EDIT: I see from this post that you already know about what I posted above. Apologies for the lecture.
Last edited by chaley; 12-18-2019 at 09:27 PM."
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote