View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
Thanks for your help Hutch and your patience trying to fathom my mixed up thinking, its because in writing apps I can do lots of fancy stuff, but I am learning that kindles and e-readers are extremely basic.

The notes popup works fine, but at the bottom of the page there is a whole section of notes which supply the popups, so when the reader reaches the bottom of the chapter, they will see all the notes, which are nothing to do with the narrative.

I was wanting to hide these notes, so that all you see is the actual chapter text, but still have popups

I cannot figure out how to hide the notes section, so I have now simply put a heading 'Notes Section' above them

If you could tell me if it is possible to hide the notes, then that would be great, if it is not possible, I will settle for the heading 'Notes Section'
Well, to make it easy on you, the short answer is NOPE.

You can't hide them, at the end of the chapter or the end of the book, without hiding them in the footnote. I mean...for example, if you make a word in your footnote BOLD, at the footnote, it would be BOLD in the popup too, right, as one is the echo of the other?

Well, same thing with the visible/invisible. There isn't a magic if/then switch, that says "hide this at the end of the chapter, but display it in the footnote."

Now...one answer, of course, is simply to move all your chapter footnotes to endnotes, and put them at the end of the book, where your reader shan't see them until the very end. That's a pretty simple solution.

I do want to say, for those of us in the world that DO read footnotes and endnotes, that seeing the footnotes at the end of the chapter is hardly some breach of book-y etiquette. We see them in print, when they are endnotes and nobody's hair has caught on fire yet. We see footnotes, ON THE PAGE! The HORROR!, in print and ditto. We're all still alive.

At the bottom of the page (footnotes) or the end of a chapter (chapter/end notes), you simply use a horizontal line, that extends a short way from the inside margin and you put the notes below it. You don't have to label it "NOTES." (For book-end notes, though, I typically agree it should be labeled.)

So, honestly...as a very voracious reader of non-fiction, I think that you may be overthinking it. However, if you are determined to spare your readers the horror of seeing the foot/endnotes, outside of the popups, then make them all true endnotes and they won't see them until the very end of the book.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote