View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I wish there was an easy answer to that question. The viewers you are using are close...but the BEST way is to actually put it on the device(s). Ask the professional book makers (Hitch, et al) and they spend a pretty penny buying all these devices to check against. For us lowly plebes... we use the tools we have: Sigil, Calibre, ADE, etc. to check the ePub code, then our own personal devices, and the software viewers you mentioned to check the amazon conversion.

edit: dang! Ninja'd by hitch!
LOL, yeah, that's me, the creakiest stealth ninja in the biz. (For some reason, today, I feel every single year and about two dozen more, for good measure.)

You can find a second-hand eInk pretty affordably. Now, the problem with all the damn formats that Amazon's gone haring off on is that Previewer just isn't as reliable as it used to be. We see odd glitches, that display this or that. Or, for example, here's one--image sizes on the HD/HDX devices, compared to how they look on Previewer.

We have a book right now, and in Previewer, with the images sized at 600, 50%, they're displayed, in Previewer, at 100% width. No idea WHY, but they are. On real devices, they seem fine--but on the HDX, even with "auto" they're tiny-ish. (sigh).

So, it's tough to publish something other than a novel or simple "text" book, without having a few devices to use for testbeds.

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote