View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
IMO not necessarily. Many older Kindles are cheap on ebay and from other sellers I have looked at, with the exception of the DX. I have only ever bought one that could not be registered as the original owner had reported it as lost and I managed to get a refund from the seller for it. Also Kindle is dominant enough in the USA market that many independent ebook sellers such as Smashwords, TOR and Baen offer book downloads in Kindle compatible formats, and without DRM. Most Smashwords books are available in 4 or 5 different file formats, all DRM free. Any more I check many Amazon offered books for availability on Smashwords as a better source. Once purchased on Smashwords the book can be downloaded in all available formats without an additional purchase.

If you side load books then independent ebook sellers can be a great resource.
But if you buy a Kindle on eBay, you have a rather good chance of it being blacklisted. That means it can never be registered with Amazon and the chanecs are that it's been stolen. Do you really want to risk buying a stolen Kindle from eBay? If you are in the US, have a look at Woot for a used or refurbished Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote