View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #37
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the very greatest respect, Don, that's not a valid comparison.

Using a Kindle to read non-Amazon books is a perfectly legitimate use of the device.

Removing the ads from an ad-supported Kindle by means other than those which Amazon condone is a clear breach of the Kindle's Terms of Service.

The two are not remotely comparable.

Perhaps you could point me to the portion of the License Agreement and Terms of Use that specifies the Kindle can be used for the reading of digital content not obtained through the Kindle Store.

What I see is:
Quote:
For the purposes of this Agreement:

"Content Provider" means the party offering Digital Content in the Kindle Store, which may be us or a third party; however, for Digital Content designated as active content in the Kindle Store, "Content Provider" means the publisher of the Digital Content.

"Digital Content" means digitized electronic content obtained through the Kindle Store, such as books, newspapers, magazines, journals, blogs, RSS feeds, games, and other static and interactive electronic content.

"Kindle" means our portable electronic reading device.

"Kindle Store" means our stores on Kindle, on Reading Applications and on our website, the homepage of which is located at www.amazon.com/kindlestore.
Amazon is a company that has control of their devices and when they decide to stop the Kindle from using digital content from other providers than the Kindle Store they will do so.

At the same time Amazon did provide the Special Offers at a discount to attract users to their new advertising concept and when they offered it to non KSO owners they signaled the intent to attempt to make it a value added service.

It is just as much a violation of the Terms if Use Agreement to modify the software to bypass the Special Offers as it is to change the font or modify the screensavers or to use the Kindle to read digital content secured from sources other than the Kindle Store.

All these can and will be restricted by Amazon when and if they decide that it is their best interests to do so.

Amazon can make those decisions and I will continue to not cast aspersions toward others who choose to use their Kindles in whatever manner they wish.

I see it as a matter between Amazon and them and I choose to not judge.

don