View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question strange "cannot download" bug - may relate to recent changes

cc v4.4.1 amazon store version so updated feb 2019( the store description says)
on a fire HDX tablet.

[ the 4.4.4 1 is correct for sure but with 2 stores on the tablet is is sometimes confusing which store delivered the app , and i thing for historical version I own copies on both stores- so it is just possible that its the google store version if that has the same version number ]

what started to happen was books would not download when CC was connected to content server: after a long press to download the icon would spin a while then I got a message - something like "cannot download [file name ] to device memory " or maybe it said " to device storage...

BUT it was only happening where i had deleted a book from the device and was now trying to get an updated version from content server.

my books go to a download/cc folder. there is no SD card in this device. it has over 1Gb free space. the epub is ~1Mb

when I tried several other books, not previously downloaded, they were all Ok- and appeared immediately. so the connection was good

so I now had 2 books that would not download, plenty of others that would....
troubleshoot steps:
1. stop start CC app. did not help,
2. power cycle device. did not help
3. stop and restart of calibre on PC seemed to resolve it

so I dunno if its the issue about calibre having now to hand off the book to reader app in android, or if it is a side effect of the fix that Kovid recently did to get the content server to always serve the latest version, after a recent edit, and not anything cached..?

the fire tablet is and oldish hdx so probably running OS 5. I can check if that is a factor

its more likely to be in calibre - i.e. CC is asking for a book and calibre content server for some reason is looking to a cache location where it is not present ? [ do to a change Kovid made a few weeks ago, in response to another thread ]

I am not sure how to try to recreate it, or even whether to bother, but I wanted to log it here in case the error message is a clue and I am missign an obvious an explanation.. i could not remember where to find the deviceapp logs of if they would help retrospectively or not.

FYI I think I edited this book yesterday, wanted to update the device version today, but calibre and the PC has only slept, not shut down in the interim

also, I have 2 tablets, I am pretty sure I updated the book on the other tablet yesterday with no issue, with the same workflow: remove from and delete from Moon+ , then delete from CC also, then connect, download....

UPDATE i found debug log - a very long file.. and I found the errors.

i see it is asking for the epub, then saing content server downlaod failed, java.io IOException format does not exist
but I can inspect calibre library and see it! and as I said above, a stop start of calibre fixed it ?. I can see in the same log, the request which then worked to fetch the book.

Last edited by stumped; 03-11-2019 at 06:26 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote