View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 02:38 AM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It is interesting that the City Watch books are listed first. They are my favourite, and the one I would recommend to start with. I wonder if they are the most successful.
By the time the Pratchett wrote the first city watch novel he'd found his voice for the Discworld stories, so that series is really good to start with. The Moist von Lipwig novels are another good starting series because Pratchett had dozens of Discworld novels under his belt by the time he wrote the first of those. The Death series starts with one that's right on the cusp of Pratchett finding his voice, and continues fine from there, so it's not too bad to start with. I didn't enjoy Soul Music that much, so I tend to recommend the city watch or Moist von Lipwig novels over it.

The Rincewind series starts with and includes most of the novels written before Pratchett found his voice. The witches series also starts with a novel before he found his voice.

To be quite honest, those early books aren't great. Not bad necessarily, but at best okay. That's why so many people recommend not reading them in published order. People will dislike the first couple of books then don't keep reading to find how wonderful the series really is. I put off reading the Rincewind series for years because I didn't like The Colour of Magic. If I had started with that novel instead of Guards! Guards! (first city watch novel) I probably wouldn't have read any of the other Discworld novels.

Anyone who insists reading them in published order is the only way to read them is simply trying to force everyone else to read books in their preferred order. They need to realize that different people like different things, and get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Many of the sub-series have little or no connection to others. There is very little that I would consider 'spoilers' between different sub-series.
There's no real spoilers between any of the sub-series. At best you'll find out that major characters won't die, but frankly you'll figure that out quickly even if you read them in publishing order. I read them entirely out-of-order and didn't notice any spoilers in any book.

On a different note, Tor's Some of the Best of Tor.com: 2020 Edition is finally available to purchase and is entirely free.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote