View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm curious whether the Tolino has the ability to obtain books directly from bookstores I have access to in the US, such as Kobo or Google Play. I know I won't be able to purchase from the European bookstores the Tolino is intended to work with. This is not a deal breaker issue - as long as I am able to use it for library books I will be ok with side loading the occsional purchased book.
Does Kobo allow you to download ePub books directly, or do you have to go through the Kobo application? I think I tried downloading directly from Google and it didn't work for some reason (can't remember why — may try it again). I did, however, test Feedbooks tonight and was able to download a DRM ePub directly to my Tolino Shine 2HD. It's a Harper-Collins eBook, something by someone named Robin Hobb. (I've been wanting to know if I could this for a while, just never set up an account on Feedbooks before.)

I just tried downloading a book from Kobo via my Shine's web browser and it came back with a "book may be damaged" error. I'll look into it a bit more. It did try, however.Second try on a different book (not the 9 book series I tried earlier) and it worked fine. So, yes, it looks like Kobo books will download directly to the Tolino. That's good to know. (Still plan to retry Google.)

EDIT: Tried Google again. No luck. I can login, see my books (even read them online) but you don't get the little dots that would open the menu to download them. If the Tolino used a newer web browser you could probably tell it emulate the desktop version of Chrome, but I can't see any way to do that with the browser that comes with the Tolino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Now I need to find a cheap cover to order. The ones on eBay mostly seem to come from Germany - has anyone bought one of those? Did it arrive within the estimated shipping time?
The Shine 2 is almost the same size as the Kindle Paperwhite (before the newest one). My Shine is in a folio cover made for the Paperwhite (Poetic brand) which has no straps on the top, so the top keys are free. Exact makes the same kind of cover (might be the same company). But I don't know how easy it is to find either of them. (No auto-off/on though).

Last edited by rcentros; 10-15-2019 at 01:48 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote