Thread: Complete n00b
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
So, I downloaded Sigil, a bit intimidated by the lack of documentation, but thought I'd give it a whirl. It was much easier to figure out than I expected, given it's only in alpha. You've done an amazing job here.
No documentation has yet been written, but I plan on writing a FAQ which would be updated as some common questions start rising up. But no hard docs for now. As you've discovered, most things are pretty intuitive.

Quote:
But, please, I need Search. Do you have any idea how nervewracking it is finding all 70 chapter headings in a long text file by eyeball?
Yes, I know. It's the number one most requested feature. I'm aiming to introduce it with 0.1.5. There are a few fundamental technical barriers that will make this more difficult to implement than it should be (Qt's WebKit integration is... well it needs work), but it will get done.

The amount of time I can dedicate to Sigil in a day has gone down by about 70% since classes started this week (I'm a full-time graduate student), so it will take a while.

After 0.1.5 I'm starting work on a redesign of Sigil... the whole "one flow for editing" idea would work wonders if WebKit could cope with the strain of huge 50k+ LOC of XHTML, but it can't. I can't really blame it for that though. So I'll be switching Sigil from this concept to one that respects the flows in the original epub. Each would be shown in a separate tab with only the first flow loaded on file load. The user will be able to click some kind of button that would list all the available flows, and clicking on one flow filename would open it in a new tab. You will be able to close, open and rearrange these tabs. Very firefoxy.

This will do wonders for both CPU and memory consumption. Memory consumption in particular will go way down, since only the flows currently viewed in tabs will be loaded into RAM. It should also fix all the problems stemming from Sigil not rewriting conflicting CSS styles (which conflict because Sigil puts them all together).

Point being, it's a work in progress.

Quote:
But I did it! I even managed to attach a cover, of sorts. If anyone has advice on the proper way to do that, I'd be grateful. All I did was insert a .jpg before the title page.
That's the way I do it. There is no "official" way.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote