Thread: Complete n00b
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Complete n00b

So, I was reading the PG ePub of George MacDonald's 'Malcolm' and finding it somewhat wanting (there's a chapter missing from the TOC and there's only breaks every 10 chapters). It's not bad, but I wondered if I could do better.

I don't know anything about what goes into an epub, although I've unzipped a few and looked at them. I don't know what a style sheet is, I know practically nothing about any of the inward workings. I know almost no html, so I'm about as close to a complete n00b at this as you could find. I have made some quick ebooks for myself years ago using Mobipocket Creator, but even then it did practically all the work for you.

So, I downloaded Sigil, a bit intimidated by the lack of documentation, but thought I'd give it a whirl. It was much easier to figure out than I expected, given it's only in alpha. You've done an amazing job here.

But, please, I need Search. Do you have any idea how nervewracking it is finding all 70 chapter headings in a long text file by eyeball?

But I did it! I even managed to attach a cover, of sorts. If anyone has advice on the proper way to do that, I'd be grateful. All I did was insert a .jpg before the title page.

I'm going to do the sequel, 'The Marquis of Lossie' next. Neither of these are in the library here. I hope to upload them when I'm done, but if people start spotting mistakes I probably won't know how to fix them.

Thanks, valloric! This is a great tool!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote