View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Sorry for the late response.

Say I want to scrap being on Amazon. Now I want to put my book in Public Domain only. How will I be able to manage that? RSVP.

Hope anyone can help me.
To get the technical/semantic issue out of the way first: Truly "Public Domain" is problematic. Yes, you can waive your rights (see Wikipedia here) but as already noted the effectiveness of this may vary with the jurisdiction. (Rights are more complicated than most people realise.)

Previous posts also mention Creative Commons which may be your best bet if you really want something approaching Public Domain without having to wait for 70 years after your demise.

BUT either of those two solutions may complicate where you can place your book for distribution. You can still make it downloadable on your own website, but it won't get seen by many people there. For all other distributors you will have to read their fine print concerning public domain works (what they accept as public domain) or whether they accept CC.

However, if you just want to make your book freely available to be read by the public then publishing on Smashwords (for example) is relatively easy and quite comprehensive. A book published on Smashwords as free can be downloaded directly or read online anonymously (no registration needed). cf a book that is normally not free but for which you have a coupon that makes it free will require the reader to be registered - so the permanently-free distinction is important.

I'm not sure if Smashwords will insist on have tax and payment details registered if all your books are free, or not. But they will accept Paypal for payments (unlike Amazon - except in a few jurisdictions).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote