View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #73
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I have one theory to explain why non-latin font-family name raise problem.
Take Chinese true type font for example, I guess its font-family name is stored in Big5 or GB encoding, not Unicode or UTF-8. For Windows XP not supporting Big5 or GB code page internally, it's naturally that these font-family name will result in "????".
I don't have the knowledge to verify my theory, it's just my conjecture.

Some background info:
Big5 encoding scheme is used for Traditional Chinese glypgs, and GB encoding scheme for Simplified Chinese glyphs. The above "華康儷中宋" are Traditional Chinese glyphs, and "汉鼎繁古印" are Simplified Chinese glyphs.
This is not simple indeed. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I think the problem is resulted from AWP not taking non-English font-family name when creating epub files.
Many Chinese truetype font have two font names. One is in English and the other is in Chinese. The attached image is an example. If I remove the Chinese font name, AWP can embed the font into epub.
Yes, most TrueType font files contain multiple NAME tables. A TrueType font can include multiple names in different languages. But only one name is used to refer to a given font through the GDI engine of Windows. When you enumerate installed fonts programmatically through the EnumFontFamilies() or EnumFontFamiliesEx() functions of Windows, only one name is returned per each installed font. Also only one font name is displayed through the various font lists in word processing applications. Even your sample document contains only one name of the font. This name is Chinese. "DFPLiSong-Md" does not seem to be a public name of that font. I am not sure that the font is supposed to be referred through this cryptic English name.

As I said in my previous post, the present version of Atlantis Word Processor has a limitation unrelated to the "Save as eBook/EPUB" feature. Atlantis currently does not support fonts whose (main?) name is non-Latin. Things seems to be trickier under a Chinese Windows. But on an English system, Atlantis cannot use fonts with Chinese names at all. I only get a string of question marks instead of a Chinese font name in Atlantis. Yes, I get questions marks when I open your sample document in Atlantis. I know that you get something else on your Chinese system.

But I have another question. Is it possible to embed a font with a Chinese name into an EPUB manually so that this EPUB displays correctly in ADE and Sony Reader? Have you tried embedding "華康儷中宋(P)" in an EPUB manually (without modifying the TTF file)? If so, did it work?
awp is offline   Reply With Quote