View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
The way I'm dealing with the 100 classics is to find suitably formatted versions via FictionWise, Gutneburg, etc. Then the ones that are on my list - but not on my PRS 700 - get downloaded from the Sony store. Mainly because many of the Pro-am files (and some of the Sony's to be honest) are just not a pleasurable reading experience - the bad rendering/formatting (which is not just a hardware problem) gets in the way.

The DRM also allows for up to 6 devices to have the files; so, if it's the ethics of copyright that you're worried about - it's pretty slim that you will break it - (1) The Sony Software, (2) Calibre [just use your reader like a thumb drive], (3) The Reader.

And, if you're like most people, worried about the DRM saying, "Slow down there hoss. You can't do that." I did not receive any notifications saying that Calibre counted as one of my devices.

This technology is in its infancy. Songs from Napster used to be free. Then .99 cents + DRM (6 devices). Now, the entire iTunes library is DRM free (unless they lied during that Macworld keynote). In less than 20 years since inception. So, give it time with regard to DRM and Mac support (which I haven't found to be that annoying - otherwise I would've returned mine and stuck with print another year).

Hope that helped.

Cheers,
Josh
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote