View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Hello everyone. I have some questions about ereaders in general and it is not aimed at a cwertain model. I own a Kindle 3 and I feel that it is the right device for me and my use. I feel that I am rather new to all of this and I have a question that I do not seem to understand. Some people like the "instant" page turning of an LCD screen, while others knock it because they feel it causes eye strain. Then there is e-ink which some love because of its lack of eye strain, yet can be disliked because of a slow page turn or its refresh flash. What is the deal or complaint with the "slow" page turn of the e-ink screen? Lets say it takes .5-1 total second for this to happen....I see this as no big deal because it takes longer than that to turn a page and get youe eyes refocused on the first word when reading a printed book. I am not trying to complain or cause any issues, I just do not understand the "issue" or complaints about a slow e0ink screen. I can wait 1 second for a new page of text to appear. Thanks for the help in understanding this.
The way I read a paper book, I am flipping the page at the same time I am finishing it, so there's not anywhere near a full second before I'm at the top of the next page (and even then sometimes I'd get a paper cut whipping the page over, hah). It would really throw me out of the story if I had to stop and wait. I discovered when using my boyfriend's nook that I could adapt by pressing the button 3-4 lines before the end of the page, and it would turn just as I was ready. The only problem with that was that sometimes I would press it just a little too soon, and then I'd have to decide if I wanted to just read on or flip back with the attendant wait.

Now that I have my Sony, with its near instantaneous page turns, I prefer not having to swipe so much before I'm actually ready (though I'm still doing it a few words in advance).
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote