View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #221
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't have a Colour Lux, so I'll let someone who has one answer whether the quality is adequate. I can say that images are decoded into bitmaps using standard libraries (libjpeg, libpng, libtiff,...), and I don't think any of those support 4+4+4 bit output directly. I'm also not sure that such a bitmap could be displayed properly by the Inkview display library. So, I just stuck with the standard 8+8+8 bit output for RGB images. For grayscale images, you can choose between 4 and 8 bit output, but I don't remember whether 4 bit images were any faster to display than 8 bit. They take up less space in memory, but you have to do bit operations to pull the 4 bit pixel value out of the 8 bit byte value in memory, so the difference in speed doesn't turn out to be very large if you start changing the gamma or contrast or brightness of the images. Finally, the way that colour is produced on an E-Ink display uses up 4 of the grayscale pixels (arranged in a 2x2 array) under the colour filter. So, the resolution of the colour screen is only half of what E-Ink display underneath offers. Thus, none of the colour E-Ink ereaders come close to the resolution of the Aura.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote