View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #42
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
It's about time...

As a pilot, my company issued me an ipad so we could have our electronic publications (approach plates, departure procedures, and enroute charts) available ALL the time...kind of hard to takeoff/land the airplane when you have to turn off your device below 10,000 ft! And that i already approved by the FAA!

So, yes, it is silly to say that electronics can't be used.

However, I can attest through personal experience (when someone forgot to turn off their cell phone...not me honest ) that cell phones DO interfere with some of the aircraft systems. Most noticeably the radios start cutting out and you get weird beeping sounds on the frequency. I haven't seen the heading bug start spinning or the aircraft start a descent uncontrolled because of it, but you never know exactly what the effects are.

One or two cell-phones/ 3G/4G devices not turned off...probabaly not a big deal....100 of them, could cause issues. So how does the flight attendant make sure everyone has their devices tuned to "airplane mode"?? Especially when it's obvious that some people *cough*usuallee*cough* don't bother following the rules that are there...because they don't think they should have to.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Finally a voice of reason in this never ending debate which resurrects itself every 6 months. Having radio communication interrupted even slightly where a controllers call could be misinterpreted is a BAD thing. The critical time for radio communication with the tower is take off and landing. Put a functioning blackberry near a speaker phone and you'll get a sense of the problem. Whether its ereaders with 3g or cell phones they should be off. I for one don't like the new rule for consideration. I get tired of these threads hearing people with no regard for the rules that 'don't apply to me and these rules are silly' who have no earthly idea of radiated emmissions and a circuit's potential radiated suceptibility. They are real phenomenon that avionics engineers go to great lengths in design and test to minimize. I am an aerospace engineer, I know. I personally would rather they be just turned off as I don't trust the majority of folks to put the thing in airplane mode.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote