Thread: Like Asimov
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
Let's assume you like Asimov. Who does not?

Which author has replaced Asimov for you?
No one. I'm not sure that's possible. Remember, Isaac wrote a great deal more non-fiction, on a wide variety of topics, than he did SF.

There are other authors who have tackled the fall and rise of a galactic empire, like Piper's Federation stories, or the David Drake/Steve Stirling "Raj Whitehall" books, and others who have tackled robotics, though it's impossible to not acknowledges Asimov's Three Laws in doing so.

I like Asimov for the cleverness of his construction. His characterization was weak, and few of his people came across as real, but that was the norm rather than the exception during his earlier days of writing SF.

If you are asking "What SF authors do I read these days", that's a rather long list...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote