View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
R.F. Delderfield wrote the Swann family saga about an English family in the transportation business over the period from the late 1850's to the start of WWI
God Is an Englishman, Theirs was The Kingdom, Give Us This Day. This is slightly before your indicated period, except for the overlap in the last volume. What makes it interesting to me is the theme is the family's adaptation to the changes over that period.

Also by Delderfield, To Serve Them All My Days, about a schoolmaster in the interwar period.

Also be Delderfield (I'm a big Delderfield fan), the A Horseman Riding By trilogy, about a man who buys a landed estate in Devon in the early 20th century
Long Summer Day, Post of Honour, The Green Gauntlet,

You might like John Galsworthy's Forsyte Saga, about an English family in the early 20th century:
The Man of Property, Indian Summer of a Forsyte, In Chancery, Awakening, To Let

Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time series (12 volumes) starting with A Question of Upbringing (mid 20th century)
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote