Thread: Ayn Rand
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #43
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
All I did was post a link to books Amazon was offering by Ayn Rand, and look what happened. (Yeah, I know, they turned out to be illegal, yada yada yada)

I did not intend this to be a discussion thread on the good or bad qualities of this author, but then threads in MobileRead do have a way of growing legs and walking away on their own, don't they?

I notice this is particularly true when discussing the merits of differing philosophical/political viewpoints.

Sheesh. You'd think this was a world wide forum, or something.

I recall in the past, someone uploaded a copy of Adolph Hitlers "Mein Kamf".

Nothing like this evolved from that.

Why? Are his ideas more acceptable than Ayn Rands?
I believe that nobody bats an eyelid about Hitler because his theories/writings are so universally lambasted that there is no argument to have. The philosophy in Mein Kampf is defended only by racists, everyone else reading it does so, I believe, from historical curiosity.

Ayn Rand, on the other hand, even though her philosophies are as objectionable as those found in Mein Kampf, seems to have a lot more vocal defenders. If, say, an apologist or holocaust denier came on here defending Mein Kampf, you would see exactly the same reaction.

Besides all that, she really does suck something fierce as a writer of fiction.