View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Exactly at the dawn of the computing age everythong was the same, simple layout, because that's all that the technology allowed. Only as it matured did we start getting more and different types of screen from 320x200 for a PDA or mobilephone to 1800x1200 for large desktop monitors. And mobileread is definitely reflowable, I have used it with pretty good success on screens ranging from 800x600 to 1650x1050.
In fact, as you read this post, just try resizing your browser window.

The point about color is that both types of formats support it equally well, so it is a non-issue.

And it goes beyong reflow. I've made this point before, but in the future most of the consumption of documents will be done my machines not humans. Indeed humans will only be able to consume information after one or more tyically dozens of machines have difested it. Formats that represent information semantically (and reflow is just one small side-effect of that) are going to be much more important.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote