View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Does Trook really get you much that a web browser and/or RSS reader can't do? There are lots of options since a rooted Nook Touch is essentially a full-on Android device.

I saw another thread where someone was asking for Trook on the Nook Color and they got a similar response. I didn't really use Trook on my Classic that much to know what feature gaps would be compared to other standard Android apps though...

I don't use trook for web browsing or as an RSS reader. I've never used those features of the program, and really couldn't care less about them! The important feature of trook (for me, YMMV) is that it reads opds formatted book catalogs. And that, in turn, lets me use it to get really good navigation through my 2K-book library of ebooks.

Specifically, I use calibre to organize and tag the books and fill in metadata, calibre2opds to build the opds formatted catalog and move the books onto my nook, and trook to display the catalog and support navigating to the book I'll be reading next.

Having convenient, multi-level drill-down access to all my books sorted by author, by series, by date added, by title, etc. ad nauseum PLUS hierarchical display when there are too many options to fit on the screen, PLUS cover view browsing once I get to individual books, PLUS cross-reference links from book entry to series/author/whatever... Let's just say it provides the navigation that should have been available from the beginning, except that the various eBook device makers assumed that it would be "too complicated" for the typical user. Never mind that anyone who can use a card catalog at the library, or a telephone book, or a rolodex understands the metaphor in an instant.

For example, my Mom (who has trouble with point-and-click on her Mac) picked up my nook when I had the trook catalog running, and navigated her way directly to several different authors and series that she was interested in with no trouble. The only tip I had to give her was how to scroll sideways on the lower screen on the nook. Everything else was just obvious.

Convenient navigation through a large catalog is a killer app for anyone with a large library. And trook is a key part of the toolset for that purpose.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote