View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #85
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Retina vs. non-retina; many do not see it

The Best Buy test that I observed used the New York Times in portrait mode—I specifically asked them to test that as I read it regularly. Most customers and even the Best Buy sales people could *not* tell the difference between a Retina and non-Retina iPad!

This is hardly the difference between a horse-and-buggy and the automobile. That analogy might be apt if the change had been from the old 16-pound “portable” Kaypro word processor to today’s iPad—but that’s *not* what we’re comparing!

Certainly, many people could never go back to using a non-retina screen—but that doesn't mean that *everyone* or even *most* people see that great a difference in the screens. The question then, is why? I can think of three reasons.
  1. The size of the screen.
  2. How close people hold the screen to their eyeballs.
  3. To borrow a phrase from Jane Austen, differences in visual sense--and sensibilities.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote