View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #173
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
The dictionaries are for the words I want to save.
The ignore list is for words that I do not want to keep, and I do not want to be bothered with a red line, when I'm doing a spell-check of the text.

Edit:
To be useful as the dictionaries, the menu on spell-check: add to dictionary, should have the option to choose the dictionary.
Yeah we understand what you are saying. Sigil 0.6 gets the "easy" version for now, anything more complex needs some thought.

One way would be to allow the "Ignore" words action to actually put the words in a dictionary file, in the same way that Add does, that the user can choose between in exactly the same way. A user will only ever have one Add and one Ignore dictionary active at any one time. So keyboard shortcuts and menus all stay the same. Pretty simple to implement too I think. The downside is that since your Ignore dictionary is not "forgotten", the onus is on the user to keep clearing it/switching it to prevent missing words in another book after some "aggressive ignoring". Perhaps the default behaviour would be a dictionary of "None" that behaves like the current beta, and a user switches away from that at their own risk.

Another way is that Ignore behaviour stays the same as current, but the user can add to multiple dictionaries, like you suggest. However this has it's own complications. For instance when the user chooses the simple Add menu option/key, what dictionary does it add to? It means one needs to be able to be designated as your "default" dictionary, and any other words can be added to your other dictionaries. You are also unlikely to want to have all dictionaries "active" on every book, so the user would have to be able to specify what ones are currently applied/can be added to. It all starts to snowball in complexity.

There are pros and cons of both. Neither will happen for 0.6 . But it certainly is something to consider for the future.