View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Thanks for explaining the internal card. As you say, it's not accessible without removing the circuit board, which makes me wonder why un-mounting it would be available in the user settings. If I chose to un-mount it, would anything stop working, or does it just ensure that anything being written to it gets completed?

I'm not sure why it's there, but it is confusing. If you ever accidentally un-mount it, anything that depends on it will become unavailable. To fix, just, turn off the device and restart it. It should automatically re-mount the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Another question:

Since the Vox does not ship with an external card, I assume it's optional for extra storage and side-loading books and many users would never even use one. I got one so I could side-load some free eBooks I found. When I installed Overdrive and used it to borrow a library book, I chose to download it to the external micro sd card. Now that the book has been "returned" there's still a load of Overdrive stuff on my external card (mostly empty directories), plus there's some TuneIn Internet radio stuff, even though I was never asked where that app should store data. Does the Vox automatically put data on the external card if one is there? If so, and someone wasn't aware of that and erased the card, would they lose apps or saved favourites? It seems like an external card, once installed, becomes a critical part of the system.
In most cases, it will use the internal SD card to store user data, including books. I haven't seen it use the external one as of yet, and I've never seen the option while the external SD card was plugged in.

The external, as you said, is really for user data that you want to import into the device, be it music, video, pictures or sideloaded books. I've used it to put my daughter video's so that she can keep her main device memory free for downloaded content. you shouldn't be able install apps to it, although you can install apps from it.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote