View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #56
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I picked one up at BN, getting 3 of the $100 gift cards giving an extra $10 each. I charged it up in the store and explored it. It has a much nicer feel (for me) than the Fire, with the wider bezels giving me a convenient thumb rest, and the larger lower area allows it to rest comfortably on my tummy. Despite my slow home wifi, I got a really nice picture for Netflix. I like the freedom for organizing apps and books on the 3 main pages, much nicer than the dreadful Fire carousel. I also really like having volume buttons and brightness controls while reading, both absent in the Fire. The little button to return to reading from anywhere is nice, as is the Pandora icon to get back to it from other programs. My only apps will be Scrabble, Bejewelled, and TuneIn Radio, so I don't mind paying $2-3 for them, and I read that they're working on an Overdrive app, so that should make library books easy to download, I hope. The read in store experience is also a nice bonus--while my NT was charging I read 50 pages of an ebook that I've been waiting months to borrow from the library.

I still love the Kindle 4 for eink reading and for simple library borrowing, but this will be my consumption device for Netflix, games, streaming music, and email/light surfing. I'm going to sell my ipad2, although I'll be sorely tempted by the supposed Retina display if the ipad 3 and if they provide a mini ipad or super-size ipod touch, but we'll see. All the messaging and notifications and cameras in the ios now is a little overwhelming, and I'm getting a little old for all the racing and shooting games, so I think the NT is a good fit for me now.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote