View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If such was to get released, I'd have to agree with your assessment.Plus the battery won't last long enough for reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of the problems with a lot of LCD is sunlight. If the LCD is not good in direct sunlight, then it won't work as a reader. The GPS I have is LCD and terrible in direct sunlight. But the way it's mostly used, it's mounted in the car such that it does not get hit with direct sunlight. My cell phone is not wonderful in direct sunlight. Again LCD. My 505 being eink is wonderful in direct sunlight.

I will say, that it's wise to not overstate things like these, like they're objective deal breakers for everyone who wants a device to do some reading on.

A tablet's battery life won't be nowhere near an e-ink device. But if they can get it to 4-6 hours (or a couple more) that's more than enough for most people for reading. I hardly ever read for more than a couple hours at a time, and most often it's for 30-60 minutes. And I do 99% of my reading in doors near power outlets anyway.

To the second, while the sunlight thing is true, not everyone cares about reading in sunlight. I seldom ever read outside, or do much of anything outdoors period, so it's a non-factor for me.

Not really a rant at just you. Just many people here talk like e-books are only for the avid readers on this site who read all the damn time. Which leaves out us more casual readers who don't necessarily need super long battery life, ability to read in sun, screens easy on the eyes in long reading sessions etc.

Again, there's room for all kinds of devices with the ability to read e-books. And this site isn't meant just for avid readers who want dedicated reader devices (hence the forums for smart phones, PDAs etc.), so it bugs me to see some "snobbery" (for lack of a better word) toward the usefulness of non-eink devices for reading e-books.

By the same token, other's need to quit posting topics about tablets or other devices killing e-ink. Again, plenty of room for all kinds of devices that can access e-books so all of us can find the device(s) that suit our e-book needs.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 12-30-2009 at 09:36 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote