View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Non-functioning Aura screen ...

I was wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the behaviour of my Aura screen.

The device was working fine last night. It spent the night and the day on a table without being touched. I go to wake it, and the back slight turns on but the "Sleeping" screen doesn't change (plain white background, the word Sleeping in the lower left, no visual corruption).

I force the device off. Turn it back on. The LED blinks as usual. Eventually the front light comes on. Still no change in the display.

Similar drill, only with the light button/power switch to force a reset. The LED blinks madly for a while, which it usually does during a factory reset. The blinking stops. I wait a few minutes, I turn it back on. The LED blinks as usual. Still no change in the display. The light button turns on full intensity, indicating that it has been reset.

My next thought is a loose cable, so I turn it off, pop off the back, remove the battery cable, remove the wide ribbon cable, remove the narrow ribbon cable, remove the internal uSD card. Everything is reinserted in the opposite order. Turn the thing on, now I have a black screen with a bunch of vertical white lines and horizonal white lines, with a diagonal and partically curved line running from the bottom left corner to half way up the screen on the right (with the "colour" inverted below that diagonal line). There are also a couple of other smaller diagonal lines, again slightly curved. Turning the device off then back on causes the screen to flash white (mostly) several times before reestablishing the same pattern.

I've seen this sort of pattern on the screen of my old Kindle 2i. It indicated that the screen was cracked. The thing I don't get is why the screen was unresponsive and uncorrupted before reseating the cables.

So is this truly a cracked screen (i.e. do I have a new ARM based project board), or can this be caused by faulty cabling?