View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Why would I bother to respond to every little twist you try to throw out?
Then don't attempt to accuse me of using the term "cherry picking" wrongly, and your only defense is by ignoring the reason I gave why "cherry picking" is justified, by doing another cherry picking.
Quote:
Let's see now, you try to throw up straw men then claim that I went out of my way to set myself up to be misinterpreted? Maybe you need to look in a mirror and ask yourself why you spent so much effort hurling yourself at a conclusion about what I meant without confirming it one way or the other.

I think that my first post was quite clear. I questioned if the Nobel prize was the most important event in literature [note that I did not say it was not, I questioned if it was. A very deliberate distinction]. Then I gave two examples of why it didn't appear to be. I was not trying to write a thesis or build a case, I was simply questioning if a statement was true or not.
I responded in kind to your own straw man fallacy of giving weak examples that appear to you as effecting the importance. You gave the impression that driving sales and refusing the prize are very important reasons. You lied by omission. Those reasons were not really all that important to you after all. You simply questioned. An innocent question akin of: "Did you tell your parents yet that you are gay?" Or in this case: "Can the Novel Prize be considered important, when not even Bob Dylan jumped up and down with joy?"
Quote:
Perhaps a more productive tact might be simply to say why you think that it is indeed the most important event in literature, if that is what you think, and engage in a discussion, rather than go into standard internet attack mode.
Glad you asked. I will give you two reasons why the Nobel Prize of Literature stands out. First that it is the only cosmopolitan and world wide prize independent of language and form. But what about the Booker? No, the Booker does not qualify as cosmopolitan as it restricts availability to an english translation or original. The second reason is the amount of prize money involved. No other prize comes even close. It awards the author directly instead of merely boosting sales.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote