View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #32
Mochina
Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxie View Post
My Kindle 3G just gave up the ghost after two years and I'm looking to replace it with something will last at least for 4-6 years. Some other things I would consider for buying an reader:
  1. E-ink Screen
  2. Responsiveness - how responsive is it, my Kindle can be quite unresponsive at times but bearable when it comes to indexing.
  3. Stability - does it crash? how often? I don't like the fact that my Kindle crashed at least once a month even when it was brand new.
  4. Book Organization - I hated Kindle's collections interface, I preferred organization by folders.
  5. PDF loading - nice to have but not necessary since I'm thinking of buying a tablet for this feature or just using my phone

Any recommendations?

EDIT: If anyone has a functioning e-reader above 2 years I'd definitely be interested to hear about it. I've been reading the forums for e-readers but I haven't seen anything about age of e-readers.
I am also looking for a more durable ereader, a device that will operate according to its user manual for more than 2 years. Stability (no freezing) and a quality battery are my main concerns. I use an ereader only for reading electronic books, but I read every day, usually for at least a couple of hours.

I have had 2 ereaders, a Sony PRS-350 and a Simple Nook. The Sony needed a new battery after 18 months, and the Nook has been great.but only for about 16 months. It's now constantly freezing, although according to the battery indicator, the battery charge is at least 70%, and despite re-setting, upgrading to the latest software release, re-charging, talking to tech support, the diagnosis is again that the battery needs to be replaced. I'm now looking for a new ereader, and would appreciate advice on the following:

1) For anyone who has had a reliable Simple Touch Nook for more than 2 years, have you had any issues with the battery? If yes, how have you dealth with them?

2) For those people who have had other Nook models that have been reliable for more than 2 years, what models do you have? Any issues with the battery?

3) I'm relucant to move to a Kindle since I will essentially losing mobile access to the books I have already purchased, but those of you who have had Kindles for more than 2 years, which models do you have? Any problems with the battery?

3) Does anyone know of a reputable ereader that allows the user to replace the battery at a reasonable cost?

Thanks, everyone!
Mochina is offline   Reply With Quote