View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But seriously, what makes KoReader and/or Plato better then RMSDK (ePub) and Access (kepub)? Just saying it's faster and more reliable is not quite accurate. Both reading software in the Kobo firmware are reliable.
The way that's phrased doesn't make for a terribly relevant question to your choice of reader application. If you're happy with Nickel, chances may well be that the answer is nothing at all.

For me KOReader's primary features are the file browser, PDF & DjVu support, gestures, hackability, and more recently I've become a regular user of the Wallabag plugin. (If you like Pocket, nothing to see there. And if you don't like Pocket, probably nothing to see either.) Some people like built-in PDF/DjVu reflow, but I think fit to page or content width takes care of most documents. My wife prefers zoom to fit page.

Things I specifically like about crengine (KOReader's default EPUB renderer) include the easy application of built-in style tweaks, as well as how easy it is to add your own style tweaks. For example, you can force footnote rendering on documents that may use slightly non-standard approaches to their footnotes if you check the underlying (X)HTML. You can do that straight from KOReader btw. Theoretically you could even write your style tweak in the built-in text editor, but that's a bit iffy for obvious reasons.

You can achieve similar effects in Nickel, at least with regard to loading your own styles since I'm not sure if it does footnotes, but in KOReader they can be easily toggled per tweak and per document. Which relates back directly to my first sentence, because the difference here is less about the rendering engine and more about how you interact with it.

I would always install KOReader and/or Plato for DjVu documents even if I for some unfathomable reason I were completely satisfied with the way PDF and CBZ are handled in Nickel. DjVu is often the superior choice. That's about the most direct rendering engine-related advantage available in KOReader and Plato.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote