View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Oy vey; I have a new computer and I'm discovering right now that text boxes aren't working properly. When editing the first post, when I scroll and click a spot in the text to edit and start typing, crazy things happen. A major one is that as soon as I begin typing, the scrollable box jumps to the end of the text and I can't see what I'm typing unless it's at the end of the text that's showing in the box. This is a right pain when adding seconds and thirds to nominations higher up in the text and makes moving a fully nominated work almost impossible! I'm on a Mac and this never happened on my old Mac....if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this (and I've just spent a long while searching through Safari preferences and computer preferences and google searching the problem with no luck) help would be appreciated!

Anyway, onto other posts, I hope putting all these responses in one post isn't too confusing, but there's a lot to respond to and this is the easiest way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I must admit being a bit puzzled about ths period- voting, but that would be due to my ignorance of the discussion that preceded it?
Billi explained it well, and just to give a little more info, these kind of pre-nomination polls happen for two categories currently - Time Period and Region. It's just the simplest and quickest way for the group to choose a particular time period or region for the month before we start nominations. These different sort of categories are meant for variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll note two things: one, that the club anniversary is coming up, and categories can be rejiggered for next year, if people think the nineteenth century is getting short shrift.

Two, I think the idea behind both the region and time period categories is to force people outside their comfort zones. Sooner or later (perhaps later, as Hamlet points out), we should have covered the globe and the (linguistic) history of mankind.
That's a nice way to put it.

Relating to what Hamlet53 said, it would be nice if we could have these categories more often so that we'd go through the options faster, but there's so many other good categories as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Any particular Conrad in mind? Just having a glance through, the obvious picks seem to be:

Almayer's Folly, his first novel and An Outcast of the Islands, his second novel.

After Heart of Darkness there was Lord Jim, just on the cusp of our selection criteria.
You got me! Those three were exactly the ones that I was considering. I was leaning more towards Lord Jim because it's generally said that it's a better novel than the earlier ones, but I admit that reading about each one, the plots of the earlier two interested me more. I was also looking at the Narcissus novel, and read a couple of places that it would possibly be read more often today if it didn't have a vulgar title (it was given other names, but apparently they didn't stick...unlike the situation with Christie's Ten Little Indians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So while I was preparing my post . . .. If Barry Lyndon only requires three endorsements does that mean I can have mine back?
As issybird said, it needed four, and your support of it was good as the fourth.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote