View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #93
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast
maximalmobi7 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle paperwhite 2, and android tablet 10.1 with Kindle app
Smile kfx that is out supported by Previewer 3 beta 3.5, clears since every file in that fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon is fond of using multiple extensions for the same content. For example a KF8 file may have an extension of .azw3, .azw or .prc depending on the device or app being used.

Likewise, KFX files use .kfx in some places and .azw8, .azw9 or .yj in others. This plugin uses .kfx since that is the most common extension used. The first post in this thread already states that you can open KFX files in the Kindle Previewer by changing the extension to .azw8. It is the same file type.
I was not using Kindle Previewer to open either kfx or azw8 as the stable kindle Previewer does not support that format at all at this time,

Spoiler:
this kfx8 output plugin or azw8 output plugin is only able to use Kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5, the normal stable Kindle Previewer doesn't support kfx as far as I know. since Kindle Previewer reads This Book is not of supported file format under stable Kindle Previewer ,
I just wanted to make it clear that I was opening the kfx extension in kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5 and it only opens it if the container extension is set to azw8, not as an container extension of kfx that is out supported by Previewer 3 beta 3.5, clearly since every file in that format ext. below reads this error for its ext. type. with format of kfx.
"Unsupported file extension: .kfx"
"Unsupported file extension: .yj"

"so yes the container you wrote about cannot be opened in Previewer 3 beta 3.5.0, it only seems to support kfx as the format, and either azw8 or azw9 as the container extension these ext can be read just fine in the beta software but not the two other ones, I just updated my text to include that the unknown extension you wrote to me, is not supported by the windows software by amazon."

I did try .yj and its not support under the software in windows, not sure about device, I have no idea what azw9 is used for or .vj extension I never heard of those extensions for kindle hardware device, yes azw9 acks just like azw8 in previewer 3 beta but I have no idea what even the difference between azw8 or azw9 , I didn't try azw9 on my kindle paperwhite 2 device, I know azw8 will open on it but yet to tried azw9 my guess is it can open all of them but I could be wrong, I think its only the windows software title previewer 3 that can only either azw8 or azw9 looks like the same type of containers since I don't think their an difference yet since they both seem to use the format as kfx

my point was when you try to open .kfx in Previewer 3 beta 3.5, it will not open it ever since I don't think amazon is going with that extension for the format, only in devices maybe like kindle paperwhite, but that could change with firmware updates, they could drop the support for .kfx containers its hard to tell what their going to do in the future, but for today and the current beta supports the format and the extension of azw8 again I didn't try to rename it to either .yj or also their very uncommon formats since never heard of them and have no idea what azw8 or azw9 or .yj is really used for, at one point I heard azw8 was going to be used as an pdf comics like container, but otherwise I never heard of these extension since their too new, they may or may not replace azw3 and mobi files, it depends if they get used after beta status or not, also If they are uncompressed no one going to want them on their current devices, because then the ebook would take up too much room on either their kindle hardware or their android tablets etc.. they need to be able to be compressed in kfx format with an good compression container extension, I think like mkv do for videos and their formats inside their containers etc.. for example.

but if you rename or have the alternated azw8 output plugin zip converted into azw8 it then opens the file in Kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5 on windows 10.

you wrote that .kfx since that is the most common extension used , but I never heard of that format before this weekend, please note I been using azw3 and mobi formats mostly in calibre, .kfx is too new for it to even be most common extension used, and doesn't even seen to be support under that extension since I don't think amazon is going with that extension, I recall hearing somewhere I don't no if its Kindle Comic Creator, I think azw8 is an comic kindle extension but I am not really sure where I heard that, or it was going to be used in Kindle Kids' Book Creator or Kindle Textbook Creator at one point or another,

I am not really sure where I heard about the azw8 extension but it does seem to open the ebook created by kfx, I think amazon is going to use kfx as the format, and azw8 as the container extension in the future, when Kindle Previewer 3 is more stable and out of the beta status. again I am just guessing amazon will go with azw8 or azw9 even thou I never heard of it, I don't think they would be going with kfx container since current beta's will not open it as an format, and kindle for pc will not even read kfx formats as an download file type. again its just an guess I don't no for sure if I am right about that amazon is going to do in the future, only the future knows what their going to do with their software and their devices, how they may change the firmware to support files and drop other types is very unknown to me at this time.

so any idea if kindle for pc will ever support kfx in any extension since I can't get it to read any of the files of this type under its directory?

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: did some editing, supported ext is azw8,azw9, unsupport ext is .yj , kfx for kindle previewer 3 3.5.0
maximalmobi7 is offline   Reply With Quote