View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Five of the first six Chung Kuo recast series by David Wingrove are on sale at Amazon today for $1.99, book 4 is inexplicably unavailable in a Kindle edition. Kobo has all of them available, all couponable, book 4 is $3.79.

From what I can tell, the Chung Kuo series was originally a 8 book door-stopper series from the 80s/90s about of China triumphant dystopia that people either loved or hated, but I never got around to reading. Supposedly, Wingrove's publisher rushed the end of the series, too.

Chung Kuo recast is a rewritten version of the earlier eight-book "Chung Kuo" series. It is intended to run to twenty volumes and is not the same series. Story is being rewritten and two extra prequel books are added to this new series. Supposedly the series will be finished in 2015.

I'm really on the fence on this one, since I'm not sure I want to start a 20 volume series that people either seem to love or hate, especially when the consensus seems to be that the original series definitely went downhill towards the end. Maybe I should start a discussion over in the Recommendations forum.