View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I do own all of these books mostly in paperback. I have a huge book collection, which I can no longer easily read due to vision and other problems (I have become very allergic to newsprint/cheap paper). My goal is to replace at least some of the books I own with large-print electronic versions that are portable. When possible I do look for ebook versions to purchase, but except for Baen books I can't easily read most of these either due to the fonts the publishers chose. So I have to reformat the books to be able to read them easily. Plus being in Canada a lot of tthe newerr sources (Connect/Amazon) are not accessible for purchase.

If I could, I'd still be reading paper books as the selection is far superior. For a while I bought only new hardcovers, but even this no longer works. It's not a cost issue--I used to spend more on books than groceries. Having access to even part of my collection again is such a pleasure.

Anyway, I didn't want to bring all that up, and DEFINITELY not to get sidetracked into (yet another) discussion of legal stuff. Having all the out-of-print books I own scanned is not an option, even the damaged stuff available is better than the results of raw scans. All I'm looking for are some tools to make it easier to read books.

I am not after perfection; I can live with occasional misspellings and formatting errors. Small fonts, or bad serif fonts (like the default Reader font) make it impossible for me to read at all. Some errors, such as missing paragraph breaks, or missing quotes, do make reading much slower. Others such as em-dashes being replaced by en-dash, missing or added hyphens, chapter headings joined into the text, or full versus left justification for large fonts, are just annoying. (I have seen all of these in purchased e-books, looks like the publisher just scanned a printed book then did a quick proofreading).
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote