Thread: Spell checker
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Hya, Charlie, here's a note and a wee poem we used to carry on an older version of our website as advice to authors submitting work.

ALWAYS use a spell checker before submission of your manuscript. First of all, it will lose all those ugly and worrying red and green underlines that give an editor the willies. Also it will help clean up typos and encourage you to look again at some spelling, punctuation and grammar. Don’t, though, follow the programme’s advice blindly. It’s to be considered a prompt only. You don’t want to make the kind of howlers suggested by the poem below. Good luck.
A spell-checker would be great help to those of us trying to clean up epub files we already own. Not so much for spelling but for the sadly too frequent OCR errors I find in ebooks. Plus, words frequently seem to get squished together, i.e. tohim instead of to him.

So, I would love a spell-checker too, especially one that works across the entire document instead of just one chapter at a time. I'm currently using a text editor for this, but it is a lot of work, unzipping the epub, going through each piece, and then remaking the epub.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote