View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehill View Post
I contacted iriver customer support and they said than as iriver story hd wi-fi is not sold in Europe, I cannot accept an automatic update... But late, I accepted to download it and I think that by mistake my iriver tried to install the iriver basic firmware version, instead of the wifi version one... And now my reader is frozen and as I am in Europe I don't know how to sent the reader to repair center... It's very bad...
Ok, that does not make too much sense to me.

The Wifi version has an automatic firmware upgrade procedure. This should work anywhere regardless of your location (I'm in Germany and I can download the US OTA firmware files fine, it does not check the geolocation anywhere). The device should not brick as long as you let it upgrade itself. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get the latest US Wifi firmware.

If on the other hand you went to the iriver homepage and downloaded a firmware for the basic version and tried to install that on your wifi device, it will brick. That's a known issue - but I still see the responsibility with iriver here as their device should not accept firmwares for another model in the first place (or alternatively, it should not brick). Therefore I hope they will agree to repair/replace it for you.

There is a wifi version of the Story HD sold in Europe by the way (in Germany). I'm not sure if there is any store that ships it internationally though; it's bound to a german bookstore instead of google books in any case. Everything else works though (you can change the system language and all) so if you don't care about buying books it doesn't really matter that it's a german reader, except that y/z keys are switched for the german keyboard layout.

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-12-2012 at 01:33 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote