View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Hi Dennis. Sorry, I had a brief softening of the brain when I typed that, it should have referred to "Lost Hearts", and those particular illustrations never appeared in any book, only the magazine.
There's an interesting write up on James and the illustrators who worked on is material at http://www.darklanecreative.com/blog...s-illustrators

Quote:
I see the cross-hatching almost always when the images are "photogravure" (see attached pic), but not on line-art. Of course, Google scans have other issues as well --- they seem to LOVE to frequently use some sort of softening-blur on illustrations that often makes them look smeared. Those will look ok on a small reader display, but are awful to work with for clean-up and enhancement.
Google scans are contracted out, so "they" gets to be a bit nebulous. My impression is that Google is primarily concerned with the text, and if it can be converted via OCR.

Quote:
I agree about hathitrust and their odd restrictions, but I do confess to downloading from them ---- one page at a time, and cursing every minute -- when I can't find the desired material anywhere else. I've only done it once for an entire (short) book, though --- otherwise, just illustrations or missing pages of text.
You are a better and more patient soul than I. I would need far more incentive than I'll likely to get to go through that trouble.

I don't see Hathi Trust's restrictions as odd, per se. They are a service to institutions, and grant full rights to those who pay them. Individuals like you and I don't contribute funding to their preservation efforts, and won't get full access.

It's a pain, but the information is at least preserved, even if not universally available.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote