Thread: Troubleshooting Missing Notes And Highlights
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Missing Notes And Highlights

My Kindle Paperwhite 2 had been unregistered for a long time, though Amazon set up a kindle account for me. About a week ago, because I wanted to use custom fonts, I borrowed a friend's wifi in order to register the device. This went well.

The following day, I updated the kindle (via usb) from 5.4.2. to 5.9.7. Initially, I was delighted with the update.

UNTIL

I discovered that all my notes and highlights had disappeared from my books!!!!

The worst losses were the notes and highlights from the first two-thirds of a draft of a novel I've been writing. I'd put it on the kindle in txt format.

Is there any way of recovering these?

I've looked in 'My Clippings' and they seem to be there, but scattered, and with the wrong date stamps. I noticed that the novel's title appeared with the highlights and notes, so tried searching 'My Clippings' for this to maybe single them out with a view to printing them. But the search came up with nothing.

Since the update, I haven't worked out how to select a search type. Before, I could select, 'All Text' 'Within this Book' or 'On Device' (or something similar), but these search types have either disappeared or I don't know how to do this now.

Is there any way for my notes and highlights to reappear in the books? Does this happen with every update?
Was it the update or the registration which did this?

Thanks lots for any help.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote