View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Only Adobe has the necessary software to create ADEPT-encypted ebooks. This will not change unless Adobe suddenly decides they want people to use their DRM system for absolutely free...

There is no command-line mode to ADE. What it can do, is act as an Open With option for filetypes it knows how to... open.

Adobe isn't completely and utterly stupid. They created the system to sell RMSDK, they aren't going to allow just anyone to use it with "the command-line".

That being said, why bother with the DRM anyway? It doesn't prevent piracy (pirates just download all the pirated books already out there, or exploit the analog loophole and screenshot it then use OCR) and the DRM will be cracked the very instant it becomes popular enough that a noticeable number of people buy books using it. Case in point -- Adobe DRM has been cracked for years, with no change in status.
So is Amazon's homegrown DRM.
Apple spends a tremendous amount of money fighting with program updates to control their ecosystem, and also no one really buys Apple iBooks. No one has felt it worthwhile enough to crack.
Kobo DRM was broken.
B&N DRM was broken.
The four most popular DRM schemes have all been broken for so long that people have virtually never been NOT able to remove it.
Many consumers will refuse to buy an ebook unless they can strip the DRM. Too many small ebookstores have disappeared to risk losing all their books again.
People who read ebooks have a slight tendency to be on the savvy side anyway.

As a reader, DRM is either never going to be noticed/challenged/have any meaningful effect (people who read a book once, and are anyway scared of the word "file"),
or else it will be regarded as an irritant, preventing me from using my purchase how I see fit (Adobe DRM means I cannot use it on my Kindle for example) and something to strip, remove, set on fire as fast as humanly possible.

ebook DRM should not exist (except in the case of library loans/subscription services) and frankly neither should DRM on any other form of purchased media.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-26-2015 at 10:01 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote