View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Instead, I am very worried of Onyx producing hardware feature crippled, basically unbuyable devices: no expandable memory, no buttons, no audio jack.
For expandable memory, buttons and audio jack, there's still the C67ML Carta+ and Carta2+ (the Darwin 5 and Darwin 6 may or may not be identical to the Carta+/Carta2+, but don't explicitly mention the audio jack).

For expandable memory and buttons, there's the Monte Cristo 3 & 4 (the MC3 may be identical to the non-Pro Kepler).

For buttons and audio jack, there's the Max 2 Pro.

(And probably a few others as well.)

It's a tad piecemeal, both across products and between their internal vs their 'OEM' (as they refer to their flowery-named Russo-American market) models, but it isn't entirely lacking.

Quote:
I would have mentioned Hrafn's shining avatar, would he not have beat me to posting. Bravo.
Given I've been dragged into that issue (kicking and screaming ), I'll add my own 2c (beyond what's already in my avatar):

DRM is always liable to stop working somewhere somehow -- whether it is because the vendor goes out of business and so their servers shut down, because the vendor suddenly decides that they no longer have the rights to the product, because you crossed some invisible geospatial blockade, because of client hardware or software incompatibility, or because of some freakish unexplained bug which could be because of all, any or none of the above.

Therefore the wise buyer either strips DRM off everything as soon as they buy it, or avoids buying DRM-crippled products in the first place.

Last edited by Hrafn; 02-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote