View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
How about it?

More seriously, doesn't they and their etc. cover most of the requirement? I came across this article recently: A singular use of they.
IME, that's now pretty well standard in STM (science, technical, medical) writing, certainly for UK publications. I generally only see he/she or (yuk!) s/he from writers whose first language isn't English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Aack. Since there are no "genderless" people that I know of, I do not want to read a "genderless" pronoun.
Actually, from a medical perspective, there are people who are genderless. Some have been born with both sets of reproductive organs, while others are genetically one sex but physically the other. From a social context, there's an additional group of people who make a choice to be neither one nor the other.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote