View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I did a little more testing..I can confirm you that just kepub format ignores

Code:
text-align: center;
when justification is on. The same book, as an epub standard, works well. I have no need to switch justification off
At this point, epub are better than kepub with a kobo.
There's nothing mysterious happening here. Every reading app I've ever used (Sony, Kobo, PocketBook, Android) applies its own version of simple override CSS when you choose that reading app's "alignment option".

The Kobo Adobe reading app, used for standard epub, applies override CSS:
Code:
body {text-align: %1 !important;}
and the Kobo kepub reading app applies override CSS:
Code:
div, p { text-align: %1 !important;}
where %1 is the value you selected in the Kobo's [Aa] menu Justification buttons.

So if your epub's HTML/CSS for scenebreaks is something like:

Code:
<p class="center">***</p>

.center {text-align: center}
then the scenebreaks in an epub will be centred no matter what alignment option you set in the [Aa] menu. However the same code in a kepub will not be centred if you set the alignment in the [Aa] menu to anything other than 'Off' (i.e. don't apply alignment override CSS).

There are similar (but not the same) CSS override differences between the epub and kepub reading apps for the other settings in the [Aa] menu, namely font-family and line-height.

Whatever Kobo chooses as default CSS overrides some users will be upset. These users are at liberty to use existing kobopatches to change override CSS to something more (or less) heavy-handed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote