View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #91
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I don't suppose I can persuade you to postpone The Iliad and instead begin with The Epic of Gilgamesh. I'd forgotten about Gilgamesh, which pre-dates Homer by a couple thousand years.

There are recent translations that are putatively superior to what was available 30 years ago. They've improved both accuracy and "readability".
I think we've got to forge ahead with The Iliad as planned, but I wouldn't be averse to reading Gilgamesh, which would be entirely new to me, later on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote