View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Look at the readers from 3 years ago compared to today much less a computer from 5 years ago. They've improved leaps & bounds.
If what you want to do is read texts such as books, essays, and news stories, I question that for both eReaders and computers. Re eReaders, yes, eInk Pearl was an improvement. So was moving from US-only cell-phone-network access in the original Kindle to seamless international access in the Kindle 2 and 3. But going from keyboard to Touch wasn't an obvious improvement, or an obvious bad thing -- just a change. And taking away 3G access to news and essay web sites between the Kindle 3 and Touch was an example of getting worse. The Fire is far worse than earlier Kindles for my needs.

Amazon's strategy is to start out in books and than move to larger revenue sources. Future products will be optimized for manga and children's books and video and, above all, buying stuff over the Internet, not for pure text. Maybe Amazon will continue to produce black and white devices for those interested, but the history of the computer industry suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I wouldn't worry about battery on the K4. I'd worried about the page turn buttons wearing out.
Unserviceable switch assemblies are also unacceptable.

As I understand it, fixing switches is difficult in the other Kindle models. The difference with the Kindle 4 is that there is nothing serviceable in the device.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote