View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, that was curious.

On a very frivolous note, having just seen "Some Like It Hot" once again, at one stage when Jerry tells Joe that "Daphne" and Osgood the millionaire are engaged, Joe says "Why would a guy want to marry another guy?", to which Jerry replies "Security!"

Interesting ad, Hamlet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And the great last line, "Well, nobody's perfect!"
Yes, that final scene in Some Like It Hot is one of the reasons that the American Film Institute ranks it as the number one comedy film ever. The complete scene

Spoiler:
Jerry: Oh no you don't! Osgood, I'm gonna level with you. We can't get married at all.
Osgood: Why not?
Jerry: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
Osgood: Doesn't matter.
Jerry: I smoke! I smoke all the time!
Osgood: I don't care.
Jerry: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
Osgood: I forgive you.
Jerry: [tragically] I can never have children!
Osgood: We can adopt some.
Jerry: But you don't understand, Osgood! Ohh...
[Jerry finally gives up and pulls off his wig]
Jerry: [normal voice] I'm a man!
Osgood: [shrugs] Well, nobody's perfect!
[Jerry looks on with disbelief as Osgood continues smiling with indifference. Fade out]

If anyone has never seen this, do rent or buy it for viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Now I am catching up with everyone's reviews, you have reminded me of a point I had meant to raise but forgot about. I was constantly puzzled by Stella's mother's assumption and encouragements regarding Stella marrying a man. Surely she could not have expected this to happen in reality - if Stella was a man then he would never have been able to marry another man. Which does raise the question about why his mother would think otherwise? Maybe there is some mileage in the hermaphrodite theory?
Returning to the discussion of the possibilities of Stella marrying and/or being a hermaphrodite there is this scene described in the book :

Spoiler:

Jack Saul knelt down and put his eye to the keyhole. He could see and hear everything. ‘Lord Arthur and Boulton were standing before a large mirror,’ he recalled. Stella was busy unbuttoning Lord Arthur’s trousers. ‘Soon she let out a beautiful specimen of the arbor vitae, at least nine inches long and very thick. It was in glorious condition, with a great, glowing red head.’

Stella ‘at once knelt down and kissed this jewel of love and would, I believe, have sucked him to a spend, but Lord Arthur was too impatient.’ Picking Stella up, Lord Arthur flung her down backwards on the bed to reveal ‘a beautiful pair of legs enveloped within lovely knicker-bocker drawers. They were prettily trimmed with the finest lace, and I could also see pink silk stockings and the most fascinating little shoes with silver buckles.’

Matters proceeded apace. Lord Arthur quickly put his hands into Stella’s drawers and ‘soon brought to light as manly a weapon as any lady could desire to see, and very different from the crinkum-crankum one usually expects when one throws up a lady’s petticoats and proceeds to take liberties with her’.

‘What’s this beautiful plaything, darling?’ Lord Arthur asked in an erotic frenzy ‘as he fondled and caressed Boulton’s prick, passing his hand up and down the ivory-white shaft and kissing the dark, ruby-coloured head every time it was uncovered’.

‘Are you a hermaphrodite, my love?’ he demanded. ‘Oh I must kiss it: it’s such a treasure!’

Jack Saul was riveted. ‘How excited I became at the sight you may be sure,’ he recorded. ‘I was determined not to frig myself, as I was sure of finding a nice partner when I returned to the ball-room. Still, I would rather have had Boulton than anyone else. His make-up was so sweetly pretty that I longed to have him, and him have me.’

Jack Saul could see how Stella’s body seemed to shake and spasm as Lord Arthur’s finger ‘postillioned her bottomhole’.

Seeing how agitated he had made her, he took that splendid prick fairly into his mouth and sucked away with all the ardour of a male gamahucher; his eyes almost emitted sparks as the crisis seemed to come, and he must have swallowed every drop of that creamy emission he had worked so hard to obtain.

After a minute or two Lord Arthur wiped his mouth, and turned Stella around so that her bottom was in the air.

I interpret this to mean that Stella was definitely a man, and that Lord Arthur was also just a gay man. However, perhaps not?