View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #83
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
*Sigh*

This is the exact opposite of what anecdotal evidence suggests. The Readers are fully available, except the Black PRS-650. That has been a huge problem for them since December, but other models have not. Since there are three models, and a Red version of the PRS-650, which is available now, your whole argument centers on about 1/5th of the entire US Reader line.

Once again.... *sigh*.

I found every cover on Sony Style except the one for the PRS-650.

So, again, the evidence you are citing is exactly the opposite of what we are seeing in stores.

I thought this was addressed earlier.

Sony offered either two or three total updates in the three years I owned the PRS-500. I bought the PRS-505 late, so I don't know their record on that. The PRS-600 received one update in my ownership.

And after the new Readers came out, Sony stated they would not release updates for previous models. That lack of justification, and forced page numbering on the PRS-505 and PRS-600? You're stuck with those.

What this indicates is something that's been true for a long time: Sony sucks at software. I have made this point continuously on the forums. Their hardware design is excellent, but their software (firmware) support generally terrible... unless you own a PS3... but that's not very portable.

Another user suggested Sony doesn't do firmware on older models to push you to buy new ones. That completely sucks, but it makes sense, since that fits their track record from the very beginning of the Reader lines.

As much as it sucks, it's not an indication that they're discontinuing the Reader. It's just business as usual.

When you mis-state the above signs -- like you did -- then sure. Fortunately, two out of three items you listed are the opposite of what you said.

-Pie

I'm a newbie here and don't want to step on any toes, but, I can't quite understand this post. Best Buy is discontinuing these readers, as are other large retailers (BH Photo in New York also), and, unless I'm missing something, the following, which is the Sony Style store for ereader accessories (specifically reader covers/cases), is missing ALOT of them (which leads me to believe that this is all that is left, after having gotten rid of what they had):

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...2&N=4294952782

So, I don't quite think the sighs are in order, as most of the points made in this thread about these readers being discontinued by some major US retailers is pretty accurate.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote