View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
softreaders and standards

On the PC (through ADE) and on real ereaders my books show up as expected but as soon as i look at some ereading software on mobile devices all hell seems to break loose.

Some readers ignore many of my carefully constructed CSS, show headers centered when there is no centered given, and generally add their own designs and css styles to books.

'Cool Reader' even managed to show a gif image that is supposed to be red in a bluish color.

Now it could need settings and reporting bugs/feature requests and so on to every piece of current and future piece of software, or work around specific problems but somehow that seems to be the opposite of what would be considered a good piece of software: show content as intended by default.

The unsuspected readers might like the app but as an epub producer it is fustrating to see reading software taking so much liberty with a carefully produced epub file. From apple I can understand it, but from other projects I don't.

I'm sure it has been discussed to death in the forums.

To reader software developers: Please, when you install the software show the content like it was designed. Tweaking should be optional and not activated by default. One size does NOT fit all

Well any suggestions about the best ereader for Android?
Any other suggestions how to make sure the books will look as designed on as many softreaders as possible?
I thought checking on different ereaders and ADE with additional Sigil and Calibre would give an indication on how a book would look.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote