View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Horrible conversions azw3 to epub

I just converted a couple of Amazon books with Calibre, and was really dismayed when I looked at the epub output. In one book (GWTW), the entire first chapter was missing, the end of the next chapter was truncated--in fact, every subsequent chapter I spot-checked was truncated. In the second book (Thorn Birds), again, chapters were truncated. In both books, I also see words run together and other errors.

Here's an example. The azw3 file read:

Quote:
WHEN THE TWINS LEFT SCARLETT standing on the porch of Tara and the last sound of flying hooves had died away, she went back to her chair like a sleepwalker.
The epub conversion read:

Quote:
WHEN THE TWINS LEFT SCARLETT standing on the porch of Tara and the last sound of f" said whether lo disappearedlying hooves had died away, she went back to her chair like a sleepwalker.
I initially had used an older version of Calibre, but when I saw the messy conversions, I redid them with the most recent version--and got the same results. I use the default settings.

I've never been aware of significant problems in converting before, but the bulk of my conversions are Amazon freebies, and I usually only check the books I pay for, like these two today that were on sale.

I was able to return both books to Amazon, but my faith in Calibre is badly shaken.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote