View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I used a console on Cromix in 1980s.
I used the NT Console from 1994 till now on NT 3.51 (1994), NT 4.0 (1996), Win 2000, XP, Vista, Win7 and Win 10.
The NT console originally could run OS/2 console applications, native NT console applications (I wrote several) and DOS using different subsystems. It used also include a Virtual Machine for both DOS applications and 16 bit windows, though the actual win 16 API was emulated via a module that called Win32 API, The NTVDM. So that worked on the Power PC, MIPS and Alpha.
But on non-NT Windows, any DOS window worked better full screen as there was no NTVDM, the commands used the actual DOS that was booted to load windows, typically DOS 3.3, though you could get DR-DOS to work, though MS added stuff to prevent most people loading Windows from it. Win 3.x
The Win9x wasn't a real 32 bit OS. It had the Win32s option on Win3.x integrated. It loaded off DOS 7. So it was poor on a Pentium Pro as it had no method to directly execute x86 16bit. NT used the NTVDM, so no DOS or 16 bit Windows instructions were ever run on any version of NT.
The totally broken Win ME used DOS 8 to load and run DOS programs. I can't remember how many of them got re-installed with Win 98SE, or NT 4.0. The NT 5.0 = Win 2K wasn't ever quite finished. We and our customers stayed with NT 4.0 till XP was out, and by then the Windows 2000 Server wasn't bad, but often servers by in 2002 were NT 4.0 or Linux.

Sorry for being pedantic.

But actually there are some useful DOS programs still and people do install DOSBox.
An incomplete list
Code:
Click here to download DOSBox 0.74-3 for your Operating System, or to support us with a donation:
Download DOSBox DOS Emulator
	DOSBox (specific versions)
Mac OS X 	0.74-3-3 	dmg (Universal)
Windows 	0.74-3 	Win32 installer
Fedora 	0.74-3 	rpm
Source 	0.74-3 	Source
Debian 	0.74-3 	deb
FreeBSD package 	0.74-2 	ports
RISC OS 	0.74-2 	zip
Gentoo Linux 	0.74 	portage
OS/2 	0.74 	exe (OS2)
Solaris 10 - sparc 	0.73 	pkg
BeOS 	0.63 	binary (x86)
https://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

The main difficulty is not having physical keyboard (and maybe a mouse) on Symbian and Android. The Android one is on the Playstore.
Mostly people use it for old games.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-02-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote