View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony:PRS-350, Kobo:Aura6"/H2O/GloHD/KA1/ClaraHD/Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by timd.mackey View Post
Now I'm just confused—using the metazoa patch method works for modifying the footer, but using the nickel css extraction route, none of the changes I make seem to be having any effect...I think I'm going to go to bed and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong later.
You haven't really given enough details to figure out what's going wrong, specifically how many/which patches you have enabled in the GeoffR/Metazoa nickel.patch file. As I'm sure you're beginning to realise developing patches for the nickel file is not for the faint-hearted!

There are a couple of general things to say:
  • Patching the nickel code to change the header and footer have little, if anything, in common with each other. Whilst it may appear logical that they ought to be similar, they just ... aren't.
  • If you're going to patch the nickel file you really need to apply all nickel patches via the same method - all via GeoffR/Metazoa-style patches or all via pipcat-style patches. You can't easily mix-and-match because you'll end up overwriting one set of nickel patches with the other.

If you read the linked thread vjjustin pointed you at it may clarify a few things.

In case it helps this is an outline of what I do for my own nickel patches (14 of them).

Some of them are already conveniently packaged in the GeoffR/Metazoa standard nickel.patch file. However some of them aren't and it's not practical for me to use GeoffR's makepatch utility to create them. Consequently, I do all nickel patches via the pipcat-method. This requires me to:
  • Completely exclude the nickel file from the KoboRoot.tgz file produced by the GeoffR/Metazoa-method. This is easily done by removing the nickel.patch file from the 4.5.9587_source directory before running 4.5.9587.bat. N.B. It's not enough to simply disable all the patches in nickel.patch.
  • Transfer all nickel CSS changes which I had originally enabled in nickel.patch into pipcat-style changes. This is easy for the `Custom reading footer style` patch (ReadingFooter) where the changes are human-readable. It's not so easy if some of your enabled patches are the hex-code variety e.g. `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%`. This happens to be one developed by me so I already know what CSS changes to make for the pipcat-method.

I should probably also point out that the `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%`patch is modifying the same #StatusBarView CSS stream as the one containing #message - as per your original query. Therefore if this is one of your enabled nickel patches you'll need to combine all the CSS changes into one.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote